Friday, June 29, 2012

Easy DIY Bedsheet Curtains








So I promise I havent forgotten about you all. I've actually had two blog posts photographed and almost written but I couldn't find my darn card reader to put the photos on the computer! (And I got distracted by a 1000 piece puzzle of the Sydney Opera House, but that's beside the point).




So my new room is great! Messy but great! The only thing is that I have this giant window through which the sun loves to grace me with its presence every morning around 6 am. 






See how bright it is!??!!


Ok, so maybe I overexposed the photo for dramatic effect.... It really looks more like this:




But still! That's a lot of light even with the blinds closed!






So I decided to make myself some curtains. And I didn't want to pay that much. So I went to my fave thrift store in Santa Cruz. I call it the Nifty Fifty (ZoĆ« calls it the Fiddy) because there's a giant sign that says "50% OFF TODAY ONLY"  which is proudly displayed every day. 


So at the Fiddy I snabbed two things. 


The first was a pretty blue piece of fabric (I'm not sure what it actually was... it wasn't a bed sheet. maybe a table cloth? It had a weird piece of plastic on the bottom hem... I was really confused.) 






I also grabbed a cream colored doily which will be added to a T-shirt later on during the summer.




So here's how you make these easy DIY curtains!


First measure your window space. Mine was about 65 by 32 or something like that (I estimated)


Your sheet needs to be the same length but twice the height of what you want your curtains to be because our curtains are going to be double layered for extra sun protection! 


Lay out your sheet and cut it in half so that your curtains will be able to open in the center. Then hem the raw edge.




I LOVE this picture!


Then fold both halves from top to bottom with the wrong sides facing each other and the right sides on the outside. 


Now we're gonna make the pocket for the curtain rod (or curtain string)


I measured about 3.5 inches from the fold to put my pins in.





Then I used a zigzag stitch to make the seam for the pocket. 




Then thread the curtains onto your rod (or string), and that's all there is to it!






 Who's excited to be able to sleep in?? I AM!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment