Thursday, June 21, 2012

Braided Wedding Snuggle Blanket














My two lovely friends Ben & Amy got married last weekend and I was so excited because that meant I would be able to knit this beauty again! (And I was excited for them to get hitched!)


I knit this blanket any time I have friends who get married because its the perfect thing for newlyweds to snuggle under!






First of all get the thickest yarn you can find. And the largest needles you have (I used US size 36) You’ll need about 4 or 5 skeins worth (depending on how long you want it. You can always return the yarn or buy more). I used Cascade Magnum, because Cascade is one of my favorite brands and that’s what they have at my yarn store. However it is rather pricey. If you can find something cheaper, all the power to you! (I rationalize it because it is a wedding gift after all)




The color pictured here is 0010 (It had no name. I’m sure. My roommate ZoĆ« looked.)
Also, make sure you wind it. There would be a big mess on my hands if I tried to knit it straight from the skein.



There. Much better.


First cast on 54 stitches (or however many you like really. As long as it’s a multiple of 9)

Rows 1-3: Knit

Row 4 (RS):K3, P3, *K6, P3 repeat from * until 3 stitches remain, K3

Row 5 (and all odd rows): K6, *P6, K3 repeat from * until 6 stitches remain, ending with K6





Row 6 is kind of tricky if you have never cable knit before

First K3, P3, *hold next 2 stitches to front on spare needle (or marker!), K2, knit both held  stitches, K2, P3, repeat from * until 3 stitches remain, K3



(after purling 3) Hold 2 stitches to front.



Knit next 2 stitches (while holding first 2)




Bring held stitches back





Knit both held stitches




Voila!






Row 8 is similar to row 6 but you hold the second set of stitches to the back


K3, P3, *K2, hold next 2 stitches to back on spare needle, K2, knit both held stitches, P3, repeat from * until 3 stitches remain, K3




(after purling 3 and knitting 2) Hold next two stitches to back.










(while holding stitches) knit next two stitches







Knit both held stitches







Voila!








Repeat rows 5-8 until desired length.
Knit three rows and bind off!







Mmmmmm cozy! You will probably cry as you wrap it because you're so sad that it is going to be enjoyed by someone else. Or maybe you just made it for yourself! In that case, Wahoo! You have a snuggly blanket to sleep with tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment